Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The things we do

Heidi has just recently been diagnosed with food allergies. More specifically, she allergic to milk, egg and wheat. My first thought was, "How in the hell will I make a birthday cake without milk, egg or wheat?!" Really important I know but my baby's birthday is around the corner and I want her to have cake. Real cake. I've been doing some exhaustive google searches for vegan, gluten free cake recipes. I was skeptical but pleasantly surprised by the volume of recipes there are to be had. Not only that, but some of them looked really really good.

Looking good and tasting good are not always the same thing so before I make a beautiful birthday cake for a crowd of people I want to make sure it tastes as good as it looks. I decided on a chocolate cake and was off to Whole Foods. $65 later I came home with coconut milk, Xanthum gum and all kinds of, um, different ingredients. I whipped up a Mexican chocolate cake with Kahlua ganache.

This cake is nothing short of spectacular! I'm not even kidding. It iss so good. I would order this in a restaurant and certainly make it for a crowd of people...then, after they eat it say, "By the by, that cake is gluten free. And vegan. Mwhahahahahaha."

No comments: