Monday, January 24, 2011

Meal Plan Monday on Monday

I think I'm starting to get the hang of the meal planning thing. Or at least for the first part of the week. By the end of the week I'm tired and things tend to fall apart but its a start right? One good thing I like about meal planning is that I get to try all those recipes that I've been meaning to try. I have hundreds of recipes waiting for me to try them out. I'm not about to be Julie from Julie and Julia but Marcella who gets bored easily and wants to try new things but has a bunch of kids with food allergies to wrangle in the mean time.

One of the new things I tried last week was a gluten free, egg free meatloaf. I thought it was fabulous, Heidi ate it, Mike liked it but without the glaze and the boys each ate a bite for a dollar. Don't judge me...a little bribery goes a long way sometimes!

I need to get some pumpkin b/c I feel the need to make some chocolate chip pumpkin muffins. The gluten free version I tried tastes just as good as the real thing so I'll make that at some point this week. Mmmmm, pumpkin muffins. They are idea with a cup of coffee.




Anyway this is the plan for this week:

Sunday: Flakey Mushroom and Gruyere Tarts with salad
(verdict: these were goooooood, but not very filling. I think it would be a perfect Lenten fasting meal though or an appetizer)

Monday: Lamb meatballs with couscous and Feta
(Never did make it the other week but its a hit in my house. The boys love couscous, Heidi has never had much luck with the rice based couscous but we will try again. Everyone but Raph likes the meatballs and Mike and I eat the feta and cucumber part. So its a pretty universal...as universal as my house can get...meal.)

Tuesday: Sour cream Enchiladas

Wednesday: Shrimp Curry
(This is an awesome winter warm you up dish. Plus anything with coconut milk is fabulous in my book)

Thursday: White and Green Chili and cornbread
(A girlfriend just tried this and said it was really good and a simple crock pot meal.)

Friday: Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Casserole
(This is new but looks really good)

2 comments:

The Happy Mother said...

When I first started meal planning, I didn't do it by the week. I did Monday-Thursday (and shopped Monday morning) and then I did a second meal plan later in the week for Friday-Sunday (and shopped again Friday morning). It was easier for me to form this good habit when I broke it into two smaller jobs. Actually, I still do that a lot because we tend to plan our weekends at the last minute.
Can you share that curry recipe??? Pretty please?

Marcella said...

I added a link for the Shrimp Curry. I use more curry paste b/c I like things spicy. The original recipe makes for a very mild curry.

I have been planning out my meals for the week but the end of the week its mostly just for ideas. I buy food on Sunday for S-Tu. I go shopping again on W and/or Th. This way I have flexibility, I only have to shop when I have 1 kid at home and I can still shop the coupon sales for the week later on while I pick up the ingredients for the late week meals. I can't buy food and commit to a whole week in advance, just not happening.