Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Meal Plan Monday...errr Tuesday

I've decided to really try and work on planning out our meals for the week. It simplifies my life and helps with grocery shopping and saves money. No last minute runs to the grocery store or take out. Or at least keeps that type of behavior to a minimum. Last week I made a plan and stuck to it. I think now I will start posting my plans in an attempt to keep up with my planning. We shall see, but this is the week thus far:

Sunday: Bobby Flay Philly Cheesesteaks. I love Bobby but not his list of ingredients. Its worth it in the end

Monday: Brinner with leftovers from the Philly Cheesesteaks

Tuesday: Brats, coleslaw and tater tots...I just have to figure out how to cook brats inside

Wednesday: Meatloaf (I want to find an eggless and gluten free version so Heidi can actually eat it b/c I think she would really like meatloaf) and mashed potatoes with green beans (using leftover carmelized onions from Sunday and tossed with Almonds)

Thursday: Pasta Fagioli (Millet Fagioli for Heidi)

Friday: Chicken Parm, salad and something

Saturday: Pizza night. Some sort of DIY pizza buffett for everyone to make their own pizza


I did cook something special this week.

Gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookies with coconut. They were delish.


On Sunday I went to the grocery store because we needed "everything". That kind of blew my budget for the week so I'm trying to make dinners around whatever I have in the house so that I only need to buy a minimal amount of fillers for our meals. I'm really struggling with the appropriate amount of money for our weekly food budget. I have to buy so many speciality items, plus I want to ensure we have GOOD food in the houes not cheap junk. Its a delicate balance between good and non-budget busters. Plus it doesn't help that I think all three of my children are going through a growth spurt. I swear they are like a plague of locust in my kitchen. Once they leave there are only banana peels and a few crumbs left. Anyway, this week is simple, no empanadas from scratch this go round. Maybe I'll make up for it next week and pull out the binder of recipes I haven't tried yet.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I make a meal plan every week and only grocery shop on Sundays. I usually try to make some of the meals towards the end of the week easier as well as things that will still be good next week in case we end up with more leftovers or changes of plans. Like frozen fish, canned beans and a frozen veggie just as an example...or maybe spagetti that is mostly pantry items with meat from the freezer and the veggies I buy, I use early in the next week or on the weekend.

Oh, and for cooking brats inside, my BIL taught me to boil them in a dark beer and man does everyone love them this way! They really don't even need to go on the grill unless you just want that "grilled" flavor. :)

Going along with your savings goals, meal planning can make a huge difference in money and the waste line!

Here was my attempt to blog my meals plans that only lasted a few weeks. :)
http://boneyjeankitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Weekly%20Menu

Candice said...

I'm stuck on "brinner" - Breakfast for Dinner? (which is always delicious and not utilized enough!) . . . but I'm having a hard time figuring out how leftover philly cheesesteaks work in that scenario. I might need to be schooled on the term. In any case, impressive menu for the week! I love to cook but I don't do enough of it. I love to make grand plans to cook a crap ton of food on Sunday and re-heat it during the week, but that rarely works out well. It sort of freaks me out that someday I'm going to HAVE to figure out DINNER more than 5 minutes in advance of said meal someday when we have kids. Hopefully I have a while to figure that out. :) Good luck with the meal planning! If anyone can do it, it's you!

Marcella said...

Brinner = Breakfast for dinner.

We used the meat, onions, peppers and mushrooms in eggs. Then used some of the cheese sauce on top. Good stuff.

When I was in grad school dinner for me was often a bag of popcorn. My role in life is a wee bit different at this point. It is my *job* to do stuff like making dinner.