Monday, March 21, 2011

I'm back! (to meal planning that is)

Its been a rude awakening to come back to a disaster zone of a house and actually have to COOK meals. Vacation is good but it sucks when you come home. The whole reality factor just back hands you across the face.

I was dreading meal planning yesterday. DREAD. Then I read in Real Simple about procrastination...fitting, no? My take home message from that article was to do that thing you dread the most before you do anything else. It will loom over you, nag at you, judge you and make you miserable until you sit down and do it. Even if it is something really small its better just to DO IT already. Kind of like the 30 seconds or less rule. Mental clutter is just as bad as physical clutter. At least with physical clutter you can escape it by leaving the room...mental clutter just follows you around. The article was right. I sat down, did a meal plan and I was done in about 10 minutes. The whole rest of the day was cake after that. I was finished with that one thing and I had a spring in my step. I had such a feeling of accomplishment. Its silly though isn't it? I didn't actually DO anything but I felt better so who cares.

Monday: Thai beef salad with fresh herbs

Tuesday: Spicy Asian noodles with chicken

Wednesday: Mushroom and Sausage Ragu with Polenta

Thursday: Spiced Chicken with Couscous Salad

Friday: Linguine with Spicy Shrimp

I should note that this is what Mike and I will eat. The kids usually eat a variation or something entirely different. I know its bad but whatever. You try feeding a family of five and avoid milk, egg, wheat, peanut and pineapples. And have it be something everyone likes. I dare you!


I published without a picture! The horrors! I'm pretty sure he's not going to hit anything shooting like that ::snicker::

No comments: